Tuesday, November 15, 2011

CYM, and flour

Someone, Chloe Yelena Miller, suggested I get into the specifics of the large variety of flours I use, or could use, for any number of particular baked items.

I'm pretty much a one-note Hecker's Unbleached Flour lady, and use it for most things. I did try Trader Joe's flour once (cause it was cheaper), but do NOT recommend. I also tried going organic for a second, and tried my previously local Integral Yoga Market's bulk organic flour, which again, do NOT recommend. Also tried rice flour, which, for the third time, I do NOT recommend!

Everyone loves King Arthur Flour, which I admit I haven't tried. When you're nickel-and-dime-ing a home-based baking operation, there's not always time/money to try out new recipes and ingredients. But perhaps over the holidays, I can do a bit of experimenting, and y'all'll be the first ones to hear about it!

p.s. CYM is a great cook, and a great writer, so check this out: http://farelascarpetta.blogspot.com/

7 comments:

  1. I've been very happy with Gold Medal all purpose. For family coffee cake recipe that calls for Presto flour, I use Washington brand self-rising flour. CK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, Presto, which I do use. Also the other brand, whose name I'm blanking on. CK, can you name the Washington brand self-rising flour. Don't know it. Is this a DC thing? Have a DC reader...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Swans Down Cake Flour is the alternative to Presto, unless you use CK's version, which is the Washington brand self-rising flour I don't know about!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't find Presto flour anywhere. Washington brand is what I found in two local markets (not Giant or other national chain).

    "Washington Self Rising Flour and also the Cornmeal and Self- Rising Cornmeal are produced in Ellicott City Maryland. They are a regional product, available in Maryland supermarkets. The parent company, Wilkins-Rogers is located in MD. I was not able to find a mail-order or online source for the products. You might be able to find them in Delaware, Pennsylvania and Northern Virginia also. Self-rising flours are regional/Southern products.
    Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_can_you_find_Washington_self_rising_flour#ixzz1dslvPZl2

    CK

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks CK. Think I might have to start making my own self-rising flour, though I'm very happy with Presto and Swans Down. More on the homemade variety soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought cake flour (Swans Down) was different from self-rising flour. Is that not correct?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, you are correct. Swans Down is cake flour. Sorry. Must get to that DIY self-rising flour, so there are no more errs on my part! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete