Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Mise en place, people!

Everything in its place is not a notion I generally adhere to, but in baking, it's true: it works.

Mise en place means getting everything ready and measured before even turning on the mixer. I mean everything, including reading the recipe numerous times so you're sure you've got everything. Makes the mixing of ingredients go much faster.

Plus, no harm in also looking over the recipe before adding major ingredients, just to be sure.

For example, this morning, making my Coconut Chiffon Cake, soaked in coconut milk, 1) I almost forgot the vanilla but luckily reread the recipe before putting in the final ingredient: the chiffon part, or whipped egg whites, and 2) I forgot to have the coconut milk, and my pastry brush, and the toothpick, waiting for me once I took the cake out of the oven, so there was a bit of drama happening at that moment.

No point in drama, particularly in baking, so again: Mise en place, people!

No comments:

Post a Comment