Friday, November 25, 2011

Dessert round up, the morning after...

In order of deliciousness and success, I'd say:

• First place: Pecan Pie, as determined by both my brother-in-laws! One said it was the best pecan pie he'd ever had (!), and the other, the master chef, likened the filling to a "kind of baklava!" Will definitely make again!

• Tied for second place: Gingerbread and Pumpkin Pie. The gingerbread was both a bit dry around the pan edge pieces, and a bit too moist toward the middle (could blame it on my difficult and cheap oven, but still, must learn how to work with it). The pumpkin pie filling had great flavor, but aesthetically, the pie lost its looks as the night progressed, and the filling kept pulling away from the crust. Ugh.

• Fourth place: My beautiful Coconut Chiffon Cake! My go-to item was not up to par! I'd spilled the coconut milk just before applying to the cake, and when I then replaced the measurement, don't think I mixed up the milk enough, and so what I used was a bit watery I guess. End result was that the cake was dense with water, but not moist with the richness of coconut milk. An embarrassment! Though the icing was excellent.

Overall Grade: B.

No comments:

Post a Comment