Thursday, December 8, 2011

Weekend agenda...

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Panettone-236704

Must come up with the proper equipment though, and since I don't have any 10-15 ounce coffee cans lying around, I'll head over to A Cook's Companion on Atlantic Avenue near Court Street, Brooklyn, to see if they have any Panettone vessels. I've seen them at N.Y. Cake & Baking Distributor, 22nd Street just east of 6th Avenue, Manhattan, but I can't walk to that one. There's also a surprisingly great supply shop in Chelsea Market, and a hole-in-the-wall one on 17th Street, just east of Broadway.

p.s. You can buy bakery boxes at A Cook's Companion for only 50 cents, which is much less than half the price of buying them at the above. Party City, on 14th Street, Manhattan, also sells flimsy cake boxes, which are cheaper than the above stores, but still more than at my new local shop.

6 comments:

  1. I spent last evening baking an Apple Bourbon Bundt cake for office holiday party. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/23/dining/apple-bourbon-bundt-cake-recipe.html?_r=1&ref=dining
    A production, but smells incredible. However it looks a little ragged on side, probably because I didn't grease the non-stick Bundt pan enough. What do you suggest to make it look better? xxxsugar? CK in DC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks CK. Sounds promising. First off, it's probably not as ragged as you think, and a nicely formed Bundt cake always looks good. Second, though this is an afterthought, ALWAYS heavily butter a Bundt pan, nonstick or otherwise, for this very reason. Third, have you already put on your glaze? Because this is a good way to mask/hide the edges -- dripping an icing or glaze over the injured areas. And fourth, if you really want to, you can slice the cake before you present it -- though decide first if you really think it would look better this way, or as is -- and then place slices in a circle, overlapping to look lovely. Don't need the powered sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did add the bourbon/sugar glaze, when the cake was warm. I could add more, but it already reeks of bourbon (not a bad thing) - and I don't know if I want to add more. I might slice beforehand, easier for a buffet anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. Don't think you should add another layer of glaze then -- not just cause of the heavy bourbon, but also would make it too sweet. Think it probably looks great, so just decide if the better presentation is the laying out of the sliced pieces, or the full cake in all its glory!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Follow up - I thought cake was very good (though not worth the effort) but it didn't hold a candle in popularity to the fallen chocolate souffle, which everyone gobbled up. Do people just prefer chocolate? I should have made gingerbread.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Still worth the effort! I think most people do prefer chocolate desserts if given a choice, but may have to put that in a new poll -- coming soon!

    ReplyDelete