Wednesday, December 21, 2011

"Bubbe's Potato Latkes"

Who knew there would be so many Bubbe's Potato Latkes recipes online, and all of them different!?

I use the following, which I got off a Blue Mountain card I'd once received. There's always too much egg left over at the bottom of the bowl with this recipe -- I notice the other recipes call for the same amount of egg, but many more potatoes -- but nevertheless, I'm sticking with these tried and true.

*

2 cups grated raw potatoes, drained
2 beaten eggs
a little salt, maybe a teaspoon
big Tablespoon flour or matzo meal
pinch of baking powder
small onion, grated

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Heat a generous amount of vegetable oil (I use olive oil, which is traditional, according to NY1 News, and hannukah.org), maybe a 1/4 inch, maybe more...Drop mixture by the heaping Tablespoon into the oil. If you like thin, crisp pancakes, flatten with the back of a spoon. Fry on both sides until brown. Serve nice and hot with sour cream or applesauce. Serves 4 to 6...

Actually serves 2 to 3 at my house.

4 comments:

  1. I made latkes for 6 on Wednesday night - husband, son, son's girlfriend, 2 of son's housemates. I winged the proportions of potatoes, eggs, and onions and added a little flour. Used Wesson oil. Delicious, but very messy and we ran out before people had enough. My daughter is coming home tonight and she wants latkes (she hasn't had any this Hanukah). I suggested this version, http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/14/dining/polishing-up-latkes-with-apples-a-good-appetite.html?ref=dining, which sounds delcious, but she has not bought in. CK in DC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi CK in DC,
    Any one of those NYTimes Hanukkah recipes sounds amazing. I bet if you made these apple potato latkes, even without her up-front knowledge or approval, your daughter would enjoy immensely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may have to alter my plans for this evening, and make these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ran into a friend on the Metro this morning, who mentioned she had made these - said they were delicious, lighter than usual latkes, and not so messy. I like almost every Melissa Clark recipe (except the apple bourbon bundt cake). CK

    ReplyDelete