Thursday, January 5, 2012

Okay, that didn't take long...

Suddenly, I have to learn how to bake again.

Eager to try out my new KitchenAid (KA), but without a lot of ingredients at home, last night I went for making my standard ONTHCCC (Original Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookie; see link). Oy. Totally different texture!

Envision me standing at the counter in front of my mixing bowl, and I'm holding that $9.99 hand mixer. The beaters are rotating in a certain way, which is NOT the same way the KitchenAid flat paddle moves. Alas, in the future I'll definitely be making my ONTHCCC the old-fashioned way, with my $9.99 special.

So today I'm trying out my KA again, via my Rustic Fruit Desserts winter item: "Cranberry Buckle with Vanilla Crumb." I made the Vanilla Crumb first; fantastic. Next!

I made the cake with the KA, but 1) I had not prepped my mise-en-place adequately, and had to run down to the store to buy an orange for zesting (have I mentioned I live in a 4th floor walk-up?), and 2) I obviously did not read the recipe thoroughly, and it certainly seemed like I was adding to the batter a LOT of cranberries. Turned out, I was only supposed to add half that amount, and keep the rest for the topping. Not!

And 3) though I cut in half the Vanilla Crumb recipe, it still made a lot more than I'd anticipated, and I didn't measure it before I started applying it -- what?! -- and now I have a cake in the oven, with way too much Vanilla Crumb on top, and way too many cranberries in the batter, leaving none for the topping.

Smells good already, but clearly I'm gonna have to start this baking thing all over again. Story of my life.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Cranberry-Buckle-with-Vanilla-Crumb-358317

No comments:

Post a Comment